So, it turns out that having a puppy is quite a lot like having a baby. We brought Lily, our new labradoodle puppy, home on March 26 and I have been much, much busier than I expected. I've had puppies before but somehow I forgot that they go to the bathroom about once an hour or so. But I have had time to think about some of the similarities and differences between having a puppy and having a baby.
Ways in which having a puppy IS like having a baby:
1) There is a lot of pee and poop involved;
2) They are very, very cute, which saves them time and again;
3) Babies of all varieties cause explosions in the volume of laundry;
4) They need a lot, and they need it NOW;
5) Neither sleeps through the night very well;
6) They cry the moment you sit down to eat;
7) Both will try to kill themselves using common household items, like hair ties;
8) The more you have, the less likely you are to be able to take pictures.
Ways in which having a puppy IS NOT like having a baby:
1) There is a lot of pee and poop involved, but with puppies you have to go outside, often in the middle of the night, even when it is wretched out;
2) No one brings meals over so you don't have to worry about cooking.
Really, I think these are the only differences...